Below are some modest examples of technology dabbling on my part. Most of the techy stuff I've tried to accomplish is in computer scripting and programming, creative uses of existing technology. My “day job” as patent analyst has me examining other inventors’ patent applications. I've also done some beta testing (real beta testing, with periodic reports to developers, etc.). Beyond that, I’ve had some basic flying lessons (VFR / Single-Engine Land); experimented with methods of plant resin extraction; and two patents (US 9,558,636 and 10,068,437) granted by the U.S. Patent Office.
below: my old Student Pilot License (left), Flying hrs. from logbook (right)
My first (unofficial) lesson took place flying R-T from E. Falmouth, MA to Martha’s Vineyard. My official training was in Princeton, NJ and St. Louis, MO.
below: screenshot of Microsoft’s Ski Free! game (bundled with old versions of Windows), albeit as hacked by me.
No big hack, though, all I did was use a commonly available resource editor to change some object labels then recompile it. Specifically: I changed the text in the title bar to memorialize a sore loozer
(he lost a “grudge match” skiing race against me; see below) (repeat: he lost), and I changed the other skiers (obstacles) into cocoa cups, and I changed the
How I treated the unsavory incident (in Chapter ‘E’, vol. 1) of my memoirs:
Carol was new to the world of skiing, and we plunked her into a beginner’s class until she was ready to ride up the hill. Suzanne, Todd and I rode to the top and picked our way through the variety of runs.
What I Woke Up To One Day. Seems that for a few hours, back in 1999 or so, Earthlink (hosting company for many sites at the time, including mine) got hacked before they quickly fixed it. I wasn’t sure how long it would be before I could post content, and if my blogs were still “there” i.e. how good of a disaster recovery plan Earthlink had. Note: I no longer own the domain depicted in URL.
Posted below is an example of a hacking which affected me personally. Hacking is a very interesting field of study.
If a screen like the one represented by the screenshot immediately above can ruin your day, a screen like the one immediately below (also ca. 1999) can make your year or even decade. Imagine my delight when, as I was adjusting to my then job as a webmaster at a medical school, I was integrating one of the (at the time, newfangled) “news banner” (site widget) into the intranet site, and ... wow, one of the first news stories that rolled in front of my eyes (from the CNN .rss feed) was all about a state supreme court chief justice who got impeached for misconduct and it was the same judge who ruled me ineligible to practice law in his state, even after I’d passed the bar exam, because of a report that I’d smoked some marijuana. The Pisspoor Bastard. No chief justice of any state supreme court in the United States had been impeached since 1790. I was delighted that the story had rolled across my desktop whilst I was occupying an important high-tech job at a medical school.
below: GUI (Graphical User Interface) I developed (using Winbatch) for my personal use of Roger Schlafly’s old “RogBlog” (PERL script) blogging program, ca. 2003. At first, this just displayed some lines from Roger’s script as an interface for writing a post. Eventually I got permission to introduce a few small mods, which I added to GolbGor (my GUI, “RogBlog” spelled backwards), so I could add more features (Comments, Permalinks, etc.) to my blogs. For awhile, before I stopped blogging, I was trying to integrate GolbGor usage with the StarTree site map generator (see below).
below: another piece of tech I was able to integrate into my blogging: Inxight’s StarTree Studio (old software, no longer available). This program let you make site maps for websites: a hyperbolic map. Dragging a node to the right, for example, would cause more edge nodes to be displayed on the left (sub-noding as much as you want, pretty much). Presto! Improved data visualization. This part of the process was manual, I was looking at using Winbatch to jump from a posted blog entry to opening up the current StarTree map (.stz file) and adding the post as a new terminating node.
below: screenshots of my memoirs book (Android app “Propeller Head” icons). I created the book app using BookMaker (a program possibly no longer available), and the icons in screenshots below using basic image editors like Irfanview and MS Paint. Android users can download my .apk file of the (mostly finished) book, you will need to allow your device to install apps from unknown sources (viz: apps not listed in Play Store); on old Androids you might have to check a box saying “Do this only for current install”. For other devices I made a corresponding set of PDF files (.zip).
(left: old HTC Evo screen
below: a pic of the old board game UBI (made by same developers as Trivial Pursuit), and (below that) a few screenshots of some work I’ve done trying to put together a computer version (using the Vassal game engine). Information on the UBI board game can be found here.
below: screenshots showing part of the Notice of Allowance issued by the U.S. Patent Office for my first two inventions (feature improvements to ATM machine networks).
Two technical problems I boned-up on and mulled/pondered, but with respect to which I made no headway whatsoever:
page last updated: 11-12-2018